Do you hate having to change from your regular glasses to your prescription sunglasses every time you go outside? If so, you might want to talk with your optometrist in North Syracuse, NY about getting transition lenses. But what exactly are transition lenses?
What Are Transition Lenses?
Transition lenses are photochromic (transition) lenses. That means transition lenses will automatically get darker in bright sunlight, then automatically get lighter when in a dimly lit environment. With transition lenses, you will no longer have to change from your glasses to sunglasses every time you go outside and vice versa.
The Pros and Cons of Transition Lenses
Here are the pros and cons of transition lenses. This information will help you make an informed decision about whether transition lenses in Syracuse, NY are right for you.
- The same glasses can be used indoors and outdoors, so you no longer have to carry around several pairs of glasses.
- Saves money because you don’t have to buy two pairs of glasses—regular prescription lenses, as well as prescription sunglasses.
- Transition lenses are available in a wide variety of colors and styles.
- Transition lenses provide you with continuous UV protection.
- They will reduce the sun’s glare.
- Transition lenses reduce eye fatigue.
- They can be used for a wide variety of activities.
- Transition lenses block the blue light that is emitted from digital screens.
- Transition lenses can lower your chances of getting cataracts. UV light from the sun is a contributing factor in the development of cataracts.
- Transition lenses will lighten and darken to varying degrees. Some people might find they don’t like the hue of any given degree of dark or light in the lens, making them difficult to wear.
- Vehicle glass already has some UV protection built into it. This can prevent transition lenses from darkening while inside a vehicle.
- Transition lenses take longer to darken and lighten in cold weather.
Transition lenses have been around for decades. So consider their pros and cons, then talk with your optometrist about any questions you might have.
If you need an optometrist in North Syracuse, NY, please Contact McPherson Optometry today. We are a leading provider of optometry services and vision care products in the North Syracuse area. And we will help you care for your eyes as if they were our own.